The Marathon Club
The challenge was also highlighted by the Myners report and the Treasury’s post-Myners review which discussed issues such as investment time horizons and shareholder activism. The conclusions drawn were that it would be unlikely that funds could adopt a more long-term, responsible and active investment approach with existing governance and investment decision-making frameworks.
Aims and Objectives
The overall goal of the Club was to stimulate pension funds, endowments and other institutional investors (“Institutional Funds”) and their agents to be more long-term in their thinking and actions, encouraging more emphasis on being responsible and active owners with a view to increasing knowledge about how their investment strategy and process could improve the long term financial and qualitative buying power of fund beneficiaries.
The Club published materials to provide guidance to trustees and consultants on how they could foster a more long term and responsible approach to investment. It also encouraged the continuous professional development of trustees, investment consultants and other players to better promote the principles of Long-Term Long-Only (LTLO) investment.
The 18 members of the Club were institutional fund trustees, senior executives or senior specialists who had a proven track-record in playing a relevant leadership role in public and private institutional funds and endowments.
The Marathon Club’s ‘Guidance Note for Long Term Investing and Trustee Briefing on ‘Responsible Ownership for the Long Term’ plus other resources provided by the Club are available below.
- Statement on Pension Fund Accounting July 2009
- Active Equity and Bond Management Seeking Alignment January 2009
- EPFIF Presentation Active Equity and Bond Management Fees
- Behavioual Aspects of Investment Management Lessons from the Credit Crunch Dec 2008
- Guidance Note for Long-Term Investing Spring 2007
- Long Term Long Only Investing Consultation Paper 2006
- Long Term Long Only consultation – summary responses 2006
- Survey Summary on Investment Beliefs relating to CG and CR 2005
- MC Briefing Paper for Trustees Responsible Ownership for the long term